Finally on the 5th try, my soy yogurt was a success!!
It has a very nice flavor as it is.
It is delicious with fruit.
I read many ways to make soy yogurt on many blogs. I saw many ways to thicken and culture the yogurt. I attempted to thicken with store bought yogurt–dairy and non dairy, and with probiotic capsules. Finally on the 5th try I had success when a friend gave me a packet of Belle + Bella yogurt culture and said, “I want you to try this.” Thank you, ST!
Because I tried so many ways and all I got was sour milk (which I drank anyway,) I am only going to tell you what works for me, exactly the way I make it.
I am so happy to be able to make yogurt. Hurray!! and Yummy!! Here we go:
- 32-oz Simple Truth Unsweetened Organic Soymilk (Kroger)
- 1/2 cup Better Than Milk Original Soymilk Powder
- 2 Tbs tapioca starch (Use any brand. Also called tapioca flour.)
- 1 packet Belle + Bella Yogurt Non Dairy Starter
- Place the Simple Truth soymilk, the Better than Milk powder and the tapioca starch into a pot and stir it all together. (I used a double boiler, but that is not necessary.)
- Heat the milk to 180 degrees. Remove from the heat and let the mixture cool to 108 – 112 degrees. (I set a timer for 20 minutes and came back to look at my clip-on thermometer to check. 20 minutes is about right. If it cools too much, just warm it back up a little.)
- Remove about 1/2 cup of the cooled milk into a mug or bowl and stir in one packet of the yogurt starter. (Make sure you get the lumps out.) Then add that back into the pot and stir it so it is well-blended.
- Pour the milk into the little glass cups of your yogurt maker. You can use a funnel if you want to be real neat. Place the cups into your machine and turn it on. Let it incubate (or whatever you call it) for about 12 hours.
- Chill the yogurt.
Here is a picture of the brand of machine that I use.
And…thanks for reading all about it!